Question: What is the average of 85, 82, 90, two absences, five late arrivals, three tardy homework assignments, a failure to participate in class on four occasions, two note-passing incidents, and one unusually poor test performance the day the family dog died?
While it may seem mathematically impossible (How can you average together numbers and behaviors?), this kind of calculation happens all the time in schools. It’s called grading. Luckily, there are more accurate, equitable, and educationally useful ways to report learning progress and academic achievement. One approach is proficiency-based grading.
More to come.....
The Fall round of parent conferences will be happening in the afternoons and evenings of Monday, November 24th and Tuesday, November 25th. Parent Conference sign-ups close at the end of the day on Tuesday, November 18th, and you can access that system via the link on the CBMS Homepage. The password for CBMS is "cbms".
From Your PTO:
- Thank you for all your hard work with your fundraising efforts on the wreaths/poinsettias and Buy Local books. Just a reminder that this will be our last weekend to get out there and meet our goals. Please remember that the goals set by the teachers are on the profits each child should make and not the sales. The profits per item where listed so the kids could do some math and make sure they are meeting there personal goals. Orders can be turned in to Dona in the office or during AG.
- PTO Wreath and Poinsettia Sale! Order today through Nov 17th. For details, click here.
- PTO "Buy Local" Coupon Books now on Sale! For details, click here.
- Creative Writing 2014/15 with Julia Cicchetti! In this first session of our after-school creative writing workshop we will focus on writing short stories! Students will have the opportunity to explore the elements of a short story while also finding a supportive place to explore their own work and that of others. We will focus on the elements of writing short stories that make for vivid, effective writing across genres. Participants will also share their writing and ideas and discuss them in a positive and constructive manner, and we will do all of this while making new connections within our school! Cost will be $30 for a 6 week session. Dates are: Thursdays, , 11, 18,2014 Jan 8, 15, 22, 2015. Time is . Location: Room 210, Prodigy wing Minimum of 4 students
On November 21, from 6:30-8:30PM there will be a movie premiere at Crossett Brook Middle School. (from 8th grader Eli Moskowitz's Change the World project) The movies that will be shown are Level 1’s "Partly Cloudy", a ski movie, and "Oakley’s For Me", a snowboarding movie featuring Jake Blauvelt, a local rider. There will be a raffle giving away all sorts of cool prizes. There is a $5 admission fee, but all the profits go to The High Fives Foundation. High Fives is a non profit organization run by Waterbury native Roy Tuscany. The foundation's mission is to help action sport athletes with life altering injuries get back to the sport they love. Please come to support this amazing cause and a great movie and community event!
Misplaced at 7th grade boys soccer game (away at Stowe) Lime green and grey Under Armor sports bag, containing neon green Nike cleats, orange shinguards, and a red LG cellphone. Call 272-8984 if you have any information on the whereabouts of this bag.
Green Mountain Performing Arts presents The Magic of Winter, A Celebration of Dance, Song & Musical Theater at Harwood Union High School at 1:00 on Saturday, November 22. For more info, click here.
Changing the World, one treat at a time! (from 8th grader Jackson Greenleaf) This month I am composing a drive for dog and cat treats. All kinds of dog and cat treats are accepted, but no peanut butter please! All donations will go to the Central Vermont Humane Society. This drive will end the first week in December. Thank you so much!
5th Grade Parents - take note of this ski and ride opportunity for 5th Graders only! http://skivermont.com/fifth-
Upcoming Dates of Note (full calendar can be found here)
- 2Nite - Grades 7/8 Dance @ HUMS- 7-9PM
- November 18- PTO Meeting- 6:30PM in Trish Feld Library- relevant docs can be found here.
- November 21- Movie Premier- High Fives Foundation- 6:30-8:30PM - CBMS Cafetorium
- November 25- Trimester 1 Recognition Assembly- Gym- 8-8:45AM
- November 24 & 25- Student/Parent Conferences- after school from 3-8PM.
- November 26-28- Thanksgiving Break- No School for Students on these days
- December 1- WDSD School Board Meeting- 6PM in CBMS Trish Feld Library. All relevant documents can be accessed here.