Back to School Night. "Dinner is served" by your PTO! Pizza, salad, drinks, dessert. $5 per person, or $20 for a family of 4 or more. 5:30-6:30 in the Cougar Cafetorium.
Back 2 School Night for all CBMS grades is this coming Thursday, September 24th. The schedule is:
- 5:30-6:30PM- Applied Academics (Art, French, General Music, Band, Chorus, Tech Ed, Sustainability, PE) teachers will be in their rooms and available to meet and discuss in an "Open House" format. No formal presentations- simply drop in to all rooms or as many as you want
- 6:30-6:40- Den Time, with your child's Den Leader
- 6:40-7:30- Core Time on your child's Core Team. (note- some core teams may finish earlier as we have different numbers of teachers on the core teams)
Change #3- Proficiency-based Learning (PBL) is coming to our math classes! Learning and assessing based on proficiencies is a hot topic in the WWSU schools and in lots of forward-thinking schools in Vermont and nationwide. CBMS math teachers are passionate about this topic, and they as a group are forging ahead this year with bringing PBL into the learning and assessing in mathematics. The ultimate goal of PBL is that learners (and parents!) will better know and be able to pinpoint individual learning strengths and challenges. When teachers have this information, the personalization towards learning can be ramped up, with a focus on improving each individual's areas of challenge and making the areas of strength stronger. Look forward to hearing more about PBL from your child's math teacher at Back 2 School Night next Thursday, and in the meantime more information on proficiency-based learning in general can be found here.
5/6 grade Halloween themed Fun Night 7-9 pm October 2nd, 2015 - Come dance with ghouls, aliens and celebrities and play ping pong with goblins, wild animals and superheros. This early Halloween party will be a chance for your student to try out his/her costume, or be someone new. School dress code will be in affect: shirts and shoes required, no revealing clothing.
CORRECTION (& apologies for the confusion!)- 8th Grade Parents - State House Page information for 8th graders- click here. Great opportunity! Deadline for applications is Oct 1st.
- Permission Forms (E-form can be found here) MUST be filled out and signed by a parent/guardian or your child will not be able to participate until we have confirmation from you. Adults coming to pick up students at the end of Fun Night MUST come into the school to sign them out.
- Admission Fee- Please have your child bring $5 to Fun Night to cover expenses.
Schoology Parent Portal is coming in early October...stay tuned for more info on this!
The CBMS Climbing Club will begin its 3rd year with a brief slide show and chance to find out what this activity is all about on Friday, Sept 25th in the library from 2:30-3PM. 5th graders and their parents are welcome. You do not need any equipment or any experience to join - just a spirit of adventure! We'll learn the basics at school, then go the two climbing gyms in the Burlington area, then outdoors in 2016 when warm weather returns.
School Photo Day is Wednesday, October 7. Order portraits now at mylifetouch.com using Picture Day ID VJ175045Q0
Parent PowerSchool Log-ons- We have a new version of PowerSchool this year. Instructions on how to set up an account for all of your children in the WWSU. Click here to access the PowerSchool Parent Portal. On the sign in screen you will see a tab entitled "Create Account". Click on that tab, and then on the "Create Account" button, and fill in all the fields that are required on this page, which include the following:
• First Name
• Last Name
• Email (must be unique)
• User Name (must be unique)
• Password (case sensitive!)
• Re-enter Password
You should have received the username and password the packet we sent home on the first day with your child. If you do not have this information you can contact Dona Culver in the front office- firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the parent account is established, you can then add one or more students to the account. To add a student, click the Add icon and search on the student’s last name. For each student you wish to add, indicate the relationship of the parent to the student, select the Add checkbox, and then click the Add button.
Upcoming Dates of Note:
- 2Nite! September 18- Grades 7/8 Dance @ W'bury Ice Center, sponsored by HUMS- 7:30-9:30PM ($5 at the door, plus $2 to rent skates. No permission slip needed)
- September 24- Back 2 School Night at CBMS
- September 25- Climbing Club meeting for grade 5- CBMS library- 2:30-3
- October 2- Grades 5/6 Fun Night- 7-9PM @ CBMS
- October 6- Grades 5/6 WWSU Spelling Bee @ CBMS- 8:30AM
- October 7- School Photo Day
- October 8- Substance Abuse Workshop for Parents, sponsored by the CBMS PTO. 6:30PM in the CBMS Library.
- October 12- No School for Students today- Columbus Day
- October 13- No School for Students today- Staff In-Service
- October 13- WDSD School Board meeting- 6PM in the CBMS Library