- Proficiency-based Learning in every class- click here for more details.
- Applied Academic classes- groupings are made by grade level, and not by team, which makes for a broader range of groupings.
- Spanish as our World Language offering.
- Advisory Group ("AG", formerly known as Den) is happening from 7:45-8AM each day.
- iBlock - The "i" in iBlock stands for "individual". 30 minutes each day in all grades.
- Enrollment is reaching new heights, with 276 as of today.
- Administrative structure - Stephanie Hudak will be joining CBMS 2 days a week, with a focus on Special Education and Discipline.
- Home School Coordinator - we have one again at CBMS.
- Behavior Analysts - we have 2 analysts who are spending 2 days a week at CBMS looking at system and structures, as well as individual need in the area of behavior and discipline.
- Sustainability Greenhouse - the frame is up, and work towards completion will begin soon.
- Building- LED lights on the driveway, new stage curtain (Cougar Green!), and phones that are E-911 compliant.
- Chromebooks are here, and we are 1:1 in all grades.
- Tarrant Institute for Innovative Education partnership- year #2.
- Project Lead the Way comes to 5th and 6th grade science.
PowerSchool- log on instructions were sent home in the "first day packets".
Date changes- thanks for making note!
- October 6th- Back to School Night for all grades at CBMS- 5:30-7:30PM (original date was Sept 22nd- changed due to conflict with HUHS Open House)
- November 10th- Student-led conferences for all grades at CBMS- appointments will be available from 3PM-8PM- sign-ups coming in mid-October.
Biking to CBMS- we welcome students biking to school, and thanks for ensuring that your child is wearing a helmet!
Bus notes- Please make sure the CBMS office gets any bus notes/calls/e-submissions by 2PM to ensure that the message gets to your child by dismissal!
SBAC scores will be coming home via snail mail by the end of next week.
Back to School Blues BBQ & Silent Auction
Supported by Revitalizing Waterbury
- Green Mountain Club on Route 100
- Live tunes by the Brett Hughes Honky Tonk Trio
- Silent Auction with over 50 items
- Kid-friendly entertainment, including dance instruction by GMPA
- Yummy Food & Libations available for purchase
Tickets: Adult - $8, Child - $4
Advance Purchase Family Pass - $20 (available at Bridgeside Books & Stowe St. Emporium)
FIRST 50 Family Passes sold will receive a FREE Raffle Ticket for a Spring Break trip to St. Maarten
SUNZILLA RETURNS - On Thursday, September 8 at 5 pm in conjunction with the Waterbury Farmers Market at the Rusty Parker Park judging will be held for the Twenty Third Annual Waterbury Rotary Sunflower Growing Contest known as The Hunt for Sunzilla, The Monster Sunflower. The Hunt for Sunzilla is cosponsored by Waterbury True Value Hardware, Evergreen Gardens, Sunflower Natural Foods, the Waterbury Farmers Market and the Waterbury Rotary Club. We will be awarding prizes for the tallest sunflower, largest diameter and heaviest sunflower head. By popular demand we will again have our Sunflower Seed Spitting for distance and accuracy contest for kids 12 and younger. We will also continue awarding a prize for the longest and heaviest Zucchini, known as The Hunt for the Other Green Monster. We recommend that people keep their cars locked following this contest or you could wind up with a year’s supply of the fixings for Zucchini Bread in the form of one Zucchini. All contestants should try to bring their entries to the Rusty Parker Park by 4:30 pm. For further information check the Waterbury Rotary Website at www.rotary-waterbury. If you have any questions contact John Malter at 244-7373.
From the Waterbury Public Library:
After School Lego Free Build Sessions
Drop in after school and build whatever your heart desires! Strengthen your STEM muscles and spark your imagination with an abundance of Lego bricks.
For ages 7 through 11. No need to register -- just come on in.
After School Tech Craft Time
Step up your STEM/STEAM skills and light up your creations by adding basic circuitry!
~ , : Duct Tape Creations: Add circuitry to your duct tape creation. For ages 7–11.
~ , : eOrigami: Light up your origami creation by adding circuitry. For ages 7-11.
Please call the library to register for each: 244-7036.
The No Strings Marionette Company Presents "Wasabi, A Dragons Tale"
WHEN: in the Steele Community Room
In this modern-minded fairy tale, Princess Aja happily contemplates her upcoming marriage to Prince Olaf. Aja's preconceptions vanish when fire-breathing Wasabi swoops from the sky, reduces the palace to ashes and carries off her betrothed! You will be delighted as the spunky Princess, with a little help from her wise fairy friends, outwits Wasabi to save the kingdom and the day.
Eleven exquisitely crafted marionettes perform amidst sumptuous story-book scenery. A transforming sprite, a fashionable knight, and a seven foot dragon star in this newfangled fable, where both your imagination and the stage have no boundaries.
The event begins with an interactive sing along where kids get to be part of the show. Following Wasabi's adventure, No Strings' Dan Baginski and Barbara Paulson host an intimate question and answer session where everyone gets a closer look at the puppeteers trade.
This show is FREE, thanks to the generous sponsorship of Revitalizing Waterbury, and is suitable for all ages.
"Books Come to Life" with AB2
WHEN: (during Preschool Story Times)
Join Laurie Flaherty and Rachel O'Donald of AB2 (Active Body-Active Brain) for a creative music and movement-based exploration of early literacy skills. Each class will focus on a concept of dance tied to a children's book. A wide variety of music, props and rhythm instruments add to the fun and learning! Ages 3 - 6. Free - no registration required.
Upcoming Dates of Note:
- Sept 5- Labor Day- no school today
- Sept 6- CBMS PTO meeting- 6:30- CBMS Trish Feld Library
- Sept 8/9- Team Prodigy camping at Little River State Park
- Sept 13- WDSD School Board meeting- 6PM- CBMS Trish Feld Library
- Sept 21- Bike and Walk to School Day- 7AM at Rusty Parker Park.
- Oct 5- School Photo Day @ CBMS
- Oct 6- Back to School Night @ CBMS- 5:30-7:30PM
- Oct 7- WWSU In-Service Day- no school for students