JumpRope Parent Portal opening- expect an e-mail in the beginning of next week with details on logging into the JumpRope system, which is the system we are using to track progress on proficiencies.
From the Cougar Cafe:
- October Menu is online at http://wdnutrition.wwsu.org/
- Like our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/
Waterbury-Duxbury-Schools- Food-Nutrition-Services- 1552710058378861/
- Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/WatDux_
Student-Led Conferences will be held after school and evenings on the following dates. Details on how to sign up will be coming in soon.
- Team Dream- Oct 26, Nov 2 (note change)
- Team Quest- Oct 25, Nov 2
- Team Wizards- Oct 26, Nov 2
- Team Titan- Nov 1, Nov 2
- Team Prodigy- Nov 1, Nov 2
Community Introduction to Communicating Student Learning and Growth in our Proficiency Model - October 12th at 6pm in the HUHS Library
- Overview of value of proficiency-based learning
- What is Proficiency-Based Learning (PBL)?
- Why have the schools of HUUSD and VT adopted this model?
- Shifts in Communicating Student Learning in a proficiency model
- Why have grading and reporting changed in response to PBL?
- What methods or strategies are teachers using to communicate to students about their learning?
- Explain advantages of JumpRope grading software
- What is JumpRope?
- What information does JumpRope provide?
- What other methods or strategies are teachers using to communicate to students about their learning?
We hope to see you there!
LYME DISEASE PRESENTATION & DISCUSSION
Did you know Vermont has the highest incidence of Lyme Disease per capita in the USA?
Living in Vermont means loving the outdoors. Whether it is gardening, hiking, golfing, playing in the backyard, or camping, these activities & more put everyone at risk of getting bit by an infected tick. Education, awareness, and prevention is important for all Vermonters!
The Northern Vermont Lyme Association will be hosting a presentation at CBMS to cover the basics of Lyme Disease, other tick-borne illnesses, and prevention education.
Please join us at in the CBMS Library on Monday, October 23rd from 6:30 - 8:00pm.
Free Winter Outerwear Distribution - The Waterbury Center Community Church has been facilitating the collection of winter outerwear, including coats, hats, scarves, gloves, mittens, snow pants and boots for children, women and men during our Winter Clothing Drive. On Saturday October 14th we will be distributing the collected items to those in need free of charge from 9am to 3pm at the Church which is located on Route 100 next to the Cold Hollow Cider Mill. This event is open to anyone in need of some help preparing for winter. No prior sign ups required. More details can be found here.
Thank you to all the Good Cookies who supported our 5th Annual Bake Sale last weekend. We raised $1700, which will be matched by the OXO company and help fund important pediatric cancer research. Special thanks to the The Alchemist Brewery owners, Jen and John Kimmich and their great staff and customers, for welcoming us once again and for their generous and enthusiastic support of our event. Thank you to the BJAMS and CBMS for acting as our Cookie Donation Stations and to the community who donated more cookies than we can imagine! Thanks, too, to King Arthur Flour for their donation of baking kits and to those who "doughnated" online! A big shout out to our community helpers - Kathy Flanders and Marje Kelso, and BJAMS students: Ivan Buczek, Evan Gramas, Dylan Silviera, and Cole and Patrick Flaherty, for helping us spread awareness and the magic of Cookies for Kids' Cancer. Thank you to everyone for helping to "bake-a-difference!"
Upcoming Dates of Note:
- Oct 6 and 9- No school for students (staff inservice on the 6th)
- Oct 11- Grades 5/6 Spelling Bee at Fayston Elementary- 8:30am start.
- Oct 11- Jared Campbell all-school assembly- 1:30-2:30
- Oct 12- Vision screening for 5th and 7th graders
- Oct 12- Community Introduction to Communicating Student Learning and Growth in our Proficiency Model Featuring: JumpRope- HUHS Library- 6pm
- Oct 13- Grades 7/8 Dance @ CBMS- 7-9pm
- Oct 19- Fall Concert- 6-8 band, Jazz Band, 5-8 Chorus- 7pm
- Oct 20- Fun Night for grades 5 and 6- 7-9pm
- Oct 25- Student-led Conferences- Team Quest
- Oct 26- Student-led Conferences- Teams Quest, Dream, & Wizards
- Oct 27- 8th graders vs Staff soccer game- 1:30-2:30
- Nov 1- Student-led Conferences- Teams Titan, & Prodigy
- Nov 2- Student-led Conferences- Teams Dream, Quest, Wizards, Titan, & Prodigy
- Nov 3- Grades 7/8 Dance/Fun Night @ HUMS- 7-9pm