- 8th Graders should travel directly to Harwood in the morning. A bus will bring them back to CBMS in time for our normal 2:30 dismissal.
- CBMS will be in "step up mode" from 9:30-11, and 4th graders will be at CBMS from 9-11 this morning.
8th grade parents- Great Escape permission slips need to be turned in to Dona Culver in the CBMS office no later than that Friday, June 8th. She has hard copies in the office. Dona can be reached at 244-6100 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Walk & Bike to School Day is Wednesday, June 6th! At 7 AM everyone will gather at Rusty Parker Park for a free breakfast provided by Waterbury in Motion and Waterbury LEAP. After sampling coffee, juice, bagels, and fruit, attendees will be divided into four groups. One group will walk to Crossett Brook Middle School, and another will bike or there. Two similar groups will depart for Thatcher Brook Primary School. All four groups will have chaperones. All bikers MUST wear a helmet.
Representatives from Waterbury Sports will be on hand to help with any last-minute bike issues. We thank the CBMS Cougar Coop Leadership Team very much for helping to provide the food and drink for this event.
Waterbury in Motion is an advocacy group of local volunteers working to develop a safe, active, and accessible bike/pedestrian system in Waterbury and the surrounding area. For more information about this event contact Bill Minter at email@example.com
Seeking parent riders from Waterbury Center on Bike/Walk to School Day. Parents- if you are available to lead a group of bikers from the Zen Barn to Rusty Parker Park for next Wednesday's event, please let Tom Drake know (firstname.lastname@example.org).
June Cougar Cafe Menu is now online- click here.
Do you have a 4th grader going to CBMS next year, and interested in playing a band instrument?
There will be a demo/sign up night at CBMS, would feature a quick demo of available instruments followed by instrument try outs. Multiple teachers will be on hand to help students select from the following instruments: flute, clarinet, trumpet, trombone and euphonium
An Ellis Music company representative be on hand to get parents signed up with instrument rentals. Instruments to be delivered to CBMS in late August, before school starts.
demo night at CBMS Cafeteria, 2 sessions at
If you are unable to make either session, but still want to play in band, email Dan Liptak at email@example.com
At our last meeting on May 23, 2018, the Harwood Unified Union School District (HUUSD) Board took action on the ten (10) items below:
1. We entered into executive session for the purpose of superintendent evaluation
2. We approved previous meeting minutes with edits
3. We accepted Maureen McCracken's request to rescind her resignation – reinstated her as a Waterbury representative to the HUUSD. We also recognized and appreciated the person who was willing to serve and agreed to send a note of appreciation on behalf of the board.
4. We provided pre-approval for multiple international trips planned for high school aged students in the FY18-19 year, including: Rwanda / Greece & Italy / Denmark
5. We accepted recommended meal price changes for 2018-2019 to align prices across the district.
6. We confirmed board membership on the project committees related to the Harwood Bond project and middle school evaluation process.
7. We asked the policy committee to research lack of policy on challenging educational materials and report back to the board regarding recommended next steps.
8. We agreed that within the next year each board member would connect one on one with each other and with Michelle Baker and Brigid Nease – in an effort to develop connections and enhance teambuilding.
9. We accepted the request by the district administrative team to note vote on the Community Engagement proposal before June 27 and to allow them to submit their own proposal for consideration on that date.
10. We approved multiple board warrants
At this meeting, we also heard a presentation by elementary school leaders about learning expectations at the elementary level and how they are assessed across the district.
It is our hope to send updates and previews of each HUUSD Board meeting in the future. Thank you for your continued support and engagement. Our next meeting is a short one on Wednesday, June 6 at 6 pm to hear and act on recommendations from the Moretown hiring committee as appropriate. Our next full board meeting is Wednesday, June 13, from 6 pm to 9:30 pm and will be held in the Harwood Union High School library.
You can visit wwsu.org for board agendas and minutes, and watch past meetings at https://mrvtv.com/category/school-board-meetings/
The HUUSD Board
Christine Sullivan (Waitsfield) *Chair
Caitlin Hollister (Waterbury) *Vice Chair
Alycia Biondo (Warren)
Jill Ellis (Fayston)
Gabe Gilman (Moretown)
Peter Langella (Moretown)
Garett MacCurtain (Duxbury)
Maureen McCracken (Waterbury)
Theresa Membrino (Fayston)
Melissa Phillips (Waterbury)
Torrey Smith (Duxbury)
Alexandra Thomsen (Waterbury)
Rosemarie White (Warren)
Rob Williams (Waitsfield)
Dori Ingalls, Race Director for the Mad Marathon, Mad Half & Relays 2018 is pleased to announce the addition of a new distance race for young runners. The Inaugural Mad Mile will launch on at the start line for the Mad Marathon. Gun time will be just after the start for the marathoners runners. The Mad Mile will be on the USATF Sanctioned course from the start on Route 100 at Irasville Country Store heading north to Bridge Street and then turning back to the Mad River Green Finish. Registration fee is $5.00 per runner who will each receive a finisher medal along with a Mad Mile shirt. Long time announcer and sportscaster Peter Graves will welcome each runner home through the Mad Marathon Finish Gantry.
For additional information email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (802) 363-9863
Upcoming Dates of Note:
- June 2- Girls on the Run/Heart & Sole 5k run- Essex Fairgrounds- 10AM start
- June 4- CBMS Jazz Band to Discover Jazz Festival- 11:30-12:30
- June 4- Instrument Demo Night for current 4th graders- 5:45-7:15 at CBMS
- June 4- "Step Up Night" for parents of next year's 9th graders- HUHS- 6-7:30
- June 5- Harwood Community Pathway Showcase and Celebration - 5-6:45 @ HUHS
- June 6- Walk and Roll to School Day- 7AM at Rusty Parker Park
- June 6- Team Titan to Northwoods Stewardship Center
- June 8- Team Dream to UVM Ropes Course
- June 8- Team Prodigy to Jay Water Park
- June 11- Team Wizards to Reservoir
- June 12- Team Titan Celebration Night
- June 13- Team Quest to Reservoir
- June 13- Team Prodigy Team Dinner
- June 13- HUUSD Board meeting- 6pm in the HUHS Library
- June 14- 8th grade Recognition Assembly- 1pm- CBMS gym
- June 14- 8th grade Graduation- 5pm- CBMS gym
- June 15- Great Escape trip for graduates
- June 15- Last day of school for all students. Grades 5, 6, and 7 to Waterbury Village Pool. Noon dismissal.
- June 18-21- Inservice days for teachers